Eight miners have been rescued and 21 remain trapped in a coalmine that flooded in northwest China’s Xinjiang region, Chinese state news agency Xinhua reports, citing a local emergency department.
A part of the mine flooded leading to power outages just after 6pm on Saturday when 29 miners were working at the mine in Xinjiang’s Hutubi county, the report said.
In a separate report, state media outlet Global Times said 12 of the trapped miners had been located as of Sunday and were expected to be rescued, while a further nine workers had not been found.
Chinese mines are among the deadliest in the world.
Ten goldminers were confirmed dead in January following an explosion in a mine in China’s coastal Shandong province.
In December, 23 people were killed after being trapped in a mine in the southwestern city of Chongqing. Three months earlier, 16 people died in a separate coal mine in the same area.
State media on Sunday said rescue efforts in the Xinjiang mine were ongoing.