Another coronavirus case has been added to Queensland’s COVID-19 tally after it was revealed a woman who attended a party in Byron Bay last month tested positive.
Health authorities have been quick to assure the community the newly identified case poses no risk to the public, as the patient had been in self isolation.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk announced in a Twitter post on Sunday morning the case was linked to the cluster that emerged from the popular holiday spot
“Not at risk to the community and under investigation,” she wrote.
In a statement, the state’s chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young said the case was linked to the second outbreak from the Princess Alexandra Hospital, which sent greater Brisbane into a snap lockdown last month.
Cases were recorded across the border in NSW after several people from Brisbane attended a hen’s party in Byron Bay in late March.
Dr Young said the patient had returned four negative tests before a testing positive to the virus through a serology analysis.
“This case is linked to the second Brisbane cluster that originated from a Princess Alexandra Hospital nurse, taking the total number of cases linked to that cluster to 13,” she said.
“As this person had attended the party where COVID-19 spread to a number of people, they were placed into self-isolation at home and a testing routine commenced.
“I am very grateful to this person for following the advice and doing all the right things to protect the community.”
Dr Young said it was possible the patient only had a low level of the virus in her system but further investigations would be conducted.
“We are confident there is no risk to the community from this individual, which means there will be no contact tracing locations for this case,” she said.
Queensland recorded no new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, and active cases remain at 57.