NRLW player Nita Maynard has been charged with assault after allegedly becoming aggressive and attacking two bouncers when asked to leave a Cronulla nightclub on Saturday evening.
The 28-year-old was reportedly restrained by security until police arrived, in an incident that has left the Sydney Roosters star ‘shattered’.
HUGE: Ousted NRL player’s surprise move after doping ban
‘ABSOLUTELY SICKENING’: Outrage after NRL player’s brutal knock
In a statement, NSW Police confirmed Maynard was arrested and taken to Sutherland Police Station at roughly 9pm.
“The woman was arrested and taken to Sutherland Police Station, where she was charged with two counts of common assault and excluded person fail to leave premises when required,” the statement read.
Maynard was granted bail, and is set to front Sutherland Local Court on May 13.
In preparation for the upcoming NRLW season, Maynard has been playing for the North Sydney Bears in the NSWRL Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership.
Speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald on Sunday, North Sydney Bears club chairman Daniel Dickson said the club was arranging for Maynard to speak with lawyers, adding that she was ‘shattered’ by her behaviour.
“She is shattered,” Dickson said.
“She is obviously disappointed with what has gone on. We will make comment when the time is right.”
In a seperate statement to Fox Sports, NSWRL said they were confident in the Bears’ ability to handle Maynard’s situation.
“Nita Maynard is contracted to North Sydney. North Sydney are dealing with it at the moment and keeping us in the loop with regards to their actions,” the NSWRL statement read.
“We will review the matter further once North Sydney have determined a course of action.
“We are confident they have the matter in hand.”
Titans await call on short-term NRL future
Gold Coast will likely know by Wednesday where they will be able to host Newcastle next Saturday as the NRL watches Queensland’s COVID-19 outbreak closely.
The Titans are scheduled to again play in south-east Queensland in round five, after Saturday night’s game against Brisbane was moved to Sydney.
Their shift to Sydney on Wednesday was listed as “indefinite”, joining Brisbane in an interstate camp due to the outbreak.
But while the Titans went down 20-4 to Canberra on Saturday, so far the signs off the field are promising.
There was just one case of community transmission reported on Saturday in Brisbane. However, that came from a man who visited a Gold Coast brewery.
The NRL’s Apollo committee are still meeting regularly on the topic, but it’s expected any decision for the round-five match at Cbus Super Stadium would be made by Wednesday at the latest.
“We’d love to be (home),” coach Justin Holbrook said.
“One thing we’ve learned with COVID is you don’t know how things are going to go and you’ve got to react to things.
“We were the only team to lose a home game out of this. And that makes it tough.
“But it didn’t affect the way we played (against Canberra). We had a good preparation to win.
“It’s not ideal, but it’s not going to be ideal for anybody at any stage so I’m not here to make excuses.”
The NRL has longer to decide on the Broncos’ situation, given they don’t play at home until the Thursday night of round six against Penrith.
Watch ‘Mind Games’, the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.