Holiday park owners, who will be among the first to welcome guests, reacted with delight to the news, while interest in motorhomes also shot through the roof.
Raoul Fraser, of Lovat Parks, said bookings were up 400 per cent since the announcement, with occupancy across all seven parks now at 95 per cent in July and August.
Ros Pritchard, director general of the British Holiday & Home Parks Association, said members were inundated with requests for new bookings, but also from customers looking to rearrange trips booked for Easter which will now not go ahead.
She said: “Relatively speaking we are lucky, but we had a four month season last year and we have some who are really out on their uppers. This couldn’t have come soon enough.”
Car buying website Auto Trader said it saw a 17 per cent jump in searches for motorhomes and caravans on Monday evening while searches across the whole of February were 30 per cent higher than last year.
Bookings for self-contained holiday lets, too, were up by 284 per cent, according to the Rest Easy Group, which runs several rental marketplaces.
Chief executive Matt Fox said: “Brits are wasting no time booking their trips, with the most popular check-in date being 12th April, closely followed by the 16th.”